Application Deadline: June 13, 2021
Location: Mississauga, ON
Listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, Russel Metals is one of the largest metals distribution and processing companies in North America servicing customers primarily in Canada and the United States. The company conducts business in three metals distribution segments: metals service centers, energy products and steel distributors.
We are currently seeking a Human Resources Advisor in our Corporate Human Resources department, located in Mississauga, ON. The Human Resources Advisor serves as the first point of contact for a designated region of employees regarding all HR-related matters.
The workforce within Russel Metals is a diverse group, employed both in union and non-unionized environments. The primary purpose of the Human Resources team is to provide guidance and support to align with the company’s business objectives by having solid Human Resources practices and policies which maximize the attraction, retention, development and motivation of high valued employees.
- Serve as human resources subject matter expert to provide skilled advice and support the business unit managers in respect of employee and labour relations matters and on applicable employment and labour legislation and policies.
- Prepare employee offer letters, disciplinary and termination letters and ensure compliance with applicable employment and labour legislation and internal policies.
- Provide timely and accurate advice and counsel to employees in respect of human resources matters and benefit inquiries.
- Coordinate and support the recruitment and selection process to successfully fill any job vacancies with qualified candidates in close consultation with the applicable business unit manager.
- Serve as company’s primary point of contact with disability benefit program providers to ensure that claims are handled in a timely and professional basis.
- Maintain the appropriate control tables in VIP (Russel Metal’s internal HR/Payroll system), by reviewing submitted documentation and determining appropriate position codes, compensation and benefit codes and pension plan.
- Manage the enrollment process and subsequent changes with respect to group benefit programs.
Education and Skills Required:
- Two (2) + years of Human Resources support experience with a generalist focus ideally in a multiple location environment.
- Experience working in an environment dealing with unions with ability to read and interpret collective agreements.
- University and/or college education, preferably in a discipline related to Human Resources.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written).
- Strong interpersonal skills with proven ability to build rapport at all levels of the organization.
- Sound time management skills with the ability to manage multiple projects and deadlines.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Able to work efficiently as part of a team as well as independently.
- CHRP/CHRL is an asset.
- Bilingual in French (written and spoken) is a strong asset.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to email their resume to the Human Resources Department.
Russel Metals offers a competitive compensation plan that includes a competitive base salary, attractive profit-sharing plan, comprehensive benefits program, group Pension Plan, and various incentive and recognition programs.
Russel Metals is committed to a safe and injury free work environment for all our employees, contractors, customers, vendors and visitors. Due to the safety sensitive environment of our locations, depending on the position applied for you may be required to participate in post offer pre-employment medical testing, including drug testing.
We are an organization that is committed to the principles of Employment Equity which includes maintaining a fair, equitable and diverse workforce. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please state the position you are applying for in the subject line. No phone calls please. We thank all candidates, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.