Application Deadline: January 29, 2021
Location: Canada or US Location
Listed on the Toronto Stock Exchange, Russel Metals is one of the largest metals distribution and processing companies in North America servicing customers primarily in Canada and the United States. The company conducts business in three metals distribution segments: metals service centers, energy products and steel distributors.
We are currently seeking a Director of Fleet Safety and Compliance to join our Health, Safety & Compliance Team. This is a newly created full-time, permanent position reporting to our Vice President Service Center Operations. The Director of Fleet Safety and Compliance may be based either in the United States, at our Jackson, TN, Fort Worth, TX or Milwaukee, WI locations or in Canada at our Corporate office in Mississauga, ON.
The Director of Fleet Safety and Compliance serves Russel Metals’ business units to facilitate and support fleet safety and transportation compliance functions within the organization and will be responsible for the overall strategy, management and execution of fleet safety across all US and Canadian companies. They will ensure best in class fleet safety programs, processes, trainings, and procedures are in place by developing, implementing, and administering policies and programs to establish and promote transportation safety and compliance company wide.
- Ensure compliance with US FMCSA/DOT and Canada Ministry of Transportation (MTO) regulations and requirements through use of periodic reviews and audits.
- Establish driver qualifications for new hires and monitor driver hiring process.
- Provide overall leadership, guidance and support to local level operations and its managers to promote fleet safety and accident prevention including coaching, advising and training business units on fleet safety procedures, processes and legal obligations.
- Utilize data to identify at-risk behavior trends, target actions and communications specific to mitigating identified risks. (Smart Drive, ELD).
- Support automobile insurance renewals and educate insurers on fleet safety program and loss history.
- Develop, maintain, and proactively deliver educational materials and training via Learning Management Systems (LMS) Training Modules.
- Audit driver Hours of Service (HOS) from ELD logs and driver files and qualifications to ensure accuracy and compliance.
- Assist with incident investigations as needed.
- Provide reports and updates to Executive Management team regarding any safety issues, new programs, and regulation changes.
- Identify, assess and recommend new Fleet Safety trends, best practices and/or technology, providing operational effectiveness and efficiencies.
Education and Skills Required:
- At least 5 years of management experience in transportation industry safety.
- Thorough knowledge of US FMCSA/DOT and Canadian MTO regulations and requirements.
- Ability to benchmark, measure, analyze fleet safety data and articulate the value of risk management initiatives, practices and policies.
- Demonstrated ability to write, develop and deliver successful presentations to individuals and groups at all levels of an organization.
- Experience with video-based event recorders and EDL device software.
- Demonstrated proficiency in conducting root cause analysis for risk mitigation.
- Loss management or risk mitigation experience from the insurance industry is an asset.
SKILLS TO SUCCEED
- Leader: Identifies opportunities for improvement and takes initiative to build consensus, strengthen relationships and move the team towards strategic goals. Leads up and down within the organization; champions the company and models exceptional behaviour and a commitment to excellence.
- Organized and Service Oriented: Strong organizational skills, with the ability to manage company-wide initiatives. Strong customer service skills with an aptitude for problem solving and decision making. Responsive, and adept at addressing urgent priorities without compromising other essential tasks. Demonstrated subject matter knowledge in all aspects of fleet safety and compliance.
- Relationship Builder: Able to develop and build relationships with business unit leaders and managers so the field seeks out the Director of Fleet Safety and Compliance for their input and views their advice as a value-added asset in their safety program.
- Effective Communicator: Simple, clear and concise information is what is required. Able to adapt to effectively convey key messages, in writing or verbally, to the targeted audience so that the advice and message is understood. It is better to pick up the phone and engage directly with our managers than engage in lengthy email exchanges.
- Decision Making and Problem Solving: Makes informed and data-driven decisions that support the company while clearly identifying current and future impacts or implications. Able to attack problems and develop creative solutions to resolve disagreements; undertakes critical thought, problem analysis, risk assessment, weighing alternatives and balancing competing interests in resolving challenges.
- Attention to Detail: Able to achieve thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing tasks and analyzing data, contracts and information.
Russel Metals offers an attractive pay-for-performance compensation plan for this position comprised of: (a) competitive base salary with a range of $70,000 – $90,000 (in local currency); (b) annual cash incentive bonus potential; (c) annual restricted share unit grant opportunity; (d) 401K/defined contribution pension plan; (e) matching Russel share purchase plan; and (f) comprehensive benefit program which includes health insurance (US), dental insurance, prescription drug coverage and vacation/paid time off.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to email their resume to the Human Resources Department.
Russel Metals is committed to a safe and injury free work environment for all our employees, contractors, customers, vendors and visitors. Due to the safety sensitive environment of our locations, depending on the position applied for you may be required to participate in post offer pre-employment medical testing, including drug testing.
We are an organization that is committed to the principles of Employment Equity which includes maintaining a fair, equitable and diverse workforce. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Please state the position you are applying for in the subject line. No phone calls please. We thank all candidates, however, only those under consideration will be contacted.